Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Showed up for home inspections and found a small lake on the side of the house instead...

So I arrived at a Tahoe Park house I have in contract with one of my buyer clients a couple weeks ago to do inspections, and found a lot of water in the gutter out front. My first thought was the seller was over-watering the grass. Then as I got out of the car and approached the house, I could hear the sound of running water. That's not good. I immediately opened the lockbox and went inside the house. Luckily there was no evidence of water inside and I did not see anything leaking in there. I went into the backyard and did not immediately see anything until I went around the side of the house so see what's in the photo...standing water. I found the main water shut-off and turned it off. The sound of the running water, which was coming from under the house, stopped thankfully.

Luckily we caught this early-ish...a roof inspector had visited the house the previous afternoon and said there was no water, so it had been spewing water for much less than a day at the most. This de-railed our inspection plans for the day -- the home inspector and termite inspector have to go under the house, and it was WAY too wet for that.

The seller had a plumbing contractor address the issue under the house where a connection between two pipes had basically blown out. A week later the sub-area of the house had dried out and we completed the home and termite inspections. Both buyer and seller are thankful it was not worse. And my buyer is thankful this happened before she owned the house...

No comments: