Thursday, March 25, 2010

Raiding the Sock Aisle - Project 680's Biking for Socks

So, if you have been following my blog for any amount of time, you are probably aware that I am the 2010 Chair of the Sacramento Association of Realtors "Young Professionals Council." Last year, I had the pleasure of meeting a local appraiser and Rancho Cordova resident, Ryan Lundquist, when he joined the YPC.

Ryan is also the man behind Project 680...a couple years back, he learned that there were 680 homeless students within the Folsom-Cordova Unified School District, and spearheaded a grass-roots effort to raise resources and awareness of this issue. Today that 680 has actually grown to 783 homeless students. It sure does not seem all that long ago that I was in high school - and it is hard for me to get my mind around not having some of life's basic necessities (like socks, underwear, deodorant, etc.) at that age. So Project 680 is doing "Biking for Socks" on May 8. It's a sock drive / community bike ride to raise awareness and gather socks for the homeless student population of FCUSD.

When I learned about this event from Ryan, I thought - well I will go buy and donate a bunch of socks...and possibly attend the community ride in May since I just got a new bicycle.

So if you follow me on Twitter or Facebook, you will already know that last Saturday I took a little excursion to Target to "Raid the Sock Aisle" for Project 680. I snapped a photo of the empty sock racks in the store and posted the following to Twitter:

http://twitpic.com/19t0uy - Just raided the sock aisle at Target for @Project680 Sock Drive #RanchoCordova #BikingForSocks

My tweet about my raid of the sock aisle captured the attention of KCRA 3 Reporter Deirdre Fitzpatrick...and today, she filmed a story that will air in a couple weeks about Project 680. Ryan and I, along with some of Rancho Cordova's finest, went and raided the sock aisle again - this time on our bikes. Project 680's challenge to everyone: go raid the sock aisle! Post your photos to Twitter with the hashtag #BikingForSocks!

1 comment:

Ryan Lundquist said...

Thanks so much, Erin. It was really cool to see how your one tweet led to a news story. The more people know, the more we'll be able to advocate for local kids.