Friday, October 7, 2016

New Downtown Sacramento Arena "Golden 1 Center" gets two thumbs up from me!

I had the opportunity to attend the very first event at the new Downtown Sacramento Arena, the Golden 1 Center, earlier this week and wanted to share my experience. All in all, I give it two thumbs up!

For mother's day, my brother and I gave my mom tickets to the Paul McCartney Concert for Tuesday, October 4th, and ultimately it became a party of seven, with my husband, my brother's girlfriend, my mom's boyfriend and his son attending with us. Quite the good time!

My husband works downtown, so I took an Uber from our house in the Arden area to downtown Sacramento around 6pm. Traffic into downtown was minimal. We left my husband's car in the City Hall Parking Garage at 11th and J Streets, and walked a few blocks to K-Bar for a beer and dinner. We then walked a few more blocks over to the new Irish pub Malt & Mash that overlooks Saint Rose of Lima Park and the Arena. Both places were busy but not slammed, we got good service and found places to sit.

We then walked in to the arena and the security was thorough, but there were numerous security lines, so no backlog getting on the grounds. We met up the other five, who had walked over from my brother's house, which is just across the Tower Bridge in West Sacramento.

The arena is nice and modern! Lots of food and beverage selections...our seats were in the second row of the upper level. The ONLY complaint I have about the arena is that there was pretty minimal leg-room in the row where we sat. I'm not sure if the rest of the upper level lacks leg-room as we did. Basically sitting was fine, however if someone mid-row needed to go to the restroom, everyone had to stand up to accommodate that person leaving. There is no way to shuffle in your seat to move out of the way.

Of course the concert was amazing. My parents actually took me (and my brother) to my first concert in 1990 which was also Paul McCartney! I was 12 and probably lacked appreciation for his performance at that time. But I have to say, he rocks! He played a nice mix of Beatles music, Wings, and his more recent stuff. I hope I have his energy level when I am 74. He played non-stop for over 3 hours and it was a lively performance.

Once the concert was over, we exited the arena pretty easily. We then walked back to the parking garage. I was surprised that it was only about a quarter full! We had no trouble getting out of the garage, and no trouble getting to 16th Street to take the freeway home to Arden.

Overall, it was a great experience! I admit I was highly skeptical of having an arena downtown for many reasons, but I have to say that I give it two thumbs up and I am excited to attend more events there. Great job Sacramento!

No comments: