Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Finished the California International Marathon 2013...together, just like we planned!

If you have been reading my blog for a while, or follow me on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram, then you will already know that early this year my husband and I made a pact; that I would do a Century (100 mile bike race) with him, and that he would run a marathon (26.2 miles) with me.

Back in September I successfully completed my first Century, and then in November I successfully completed my first 200km (124 miles) bike ride....well this weekend was the California International Marathon. Despite the FRIGID weather conditions, we both finished in about 5 hours, 12 minutes. We arrived in Folsom at the start line around 6:15am and it was about 25 degrees out. Thankfully since we are members of the Sacramento Running Association, we were allowed to spend time before the 7am start in a heated tent! But the race itself was super cold. We had to be on constant look-out for icy pavement, and my hands, feet and face were constantly numb. Needless to say, it was exhilarating to finally cross the finish line shortly after noon. We were greeted by my mom and step-son Cameron, who whisked us away in a warm car. We then celebrated at Hoppy Brewing with a pint and some food, and then went home and rested. It was a great experience to train for this together and complete it together. Looking forward to more running and cycling adventures in 2014!

No comments: