Monday, June 15, 2009

Does HUD owe you a refund?

Now why would the US Department of Housing & Urban Development owe anyone a refund?? There are actually two types of refunds associated with the mortgage insurance premiums for FHA loans...

-Premium Refund: You may be eligible for a refund of a portion of the insurance premium if you acquired your FHA loan after September 1, 1983, paid an up-front mortgage insurance premium at closing, and did not default on your mortgage payments. You will need to review your settlement papers (from when you obtained your loan, coincidentally this paperwork is called a HUD-1) or check with your mortgage company to determine if you paid an up-front premium.

-Distributive Share: You may be eligible for a share of any excess earnings from the Mutual Mortgage Insurance Fund if you originated your loan before September 1, 1983, paid on your loan for more than seven years, and had your FHA insurance terminated (for example, paid off, or refinanced) before November 5, 1990.

Of course there are exceptions...check out HUD's fact sheet about HUD/FHA refunds.

Search the HUD database to see if you are due a refund by clicking here.

No comments: